Bro. George Nagel (Acting Dean 1944-1958)
Dr. Hilary R. Beth (1958-1963)
William J. Hoben (1964-1985)
Sam Gould (1958, 1986-2002)
Matthew Shank (2002-)
Business Department circa 1910
The University of Dayton School of Business Administration began as the Department of Business during the 1906-07 academic year. The 1908 Catalogue states, "The Commercial or Business Course is intended for those who cannot command the time, or have not the inclination for a thorough High School and Collegiate training. While this curriculum does not develop the mental faculties so fully and so harmoniously as the more thorough and systematic course in the classics and sciences offered by the Collegiate Department, nevertheless, it supplies all the requirements of a good business education." In 1938 it was renamed the Division of Business Administration and by the 1941-42 academic year it included the departments of accounting, economics, business organization, and secretarial studies. The Division of Business Administration became the School of Business Administration during the 1961-62 academic year. In August 1963 the graduate program in Business Administration was inaugurated leading to the Masters of Business Administration degree.
Mission Statement: We are a learning community committed in the Marianist tradition to educating the whole person and to connecting learning and scholarship with leadership and service in an innovative business curriculum designed to prepare students for successful careers in the contemporary business environment.
Commerce and Finance Class 1927
Visit the University of Dayton Archives to gain access to information on