Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

University of Dayton: 1960-2010

John F. Kennedy Memorial Student Union 1963

  • Built in 1963
  • Groundbreaking: March 1, 1963
  • Formal dedication: April 7, 1965
  • Architect: Pretzinger & Pretzinger
  • Contractor: B.G. Danis Co.
  • Cornerstone includes: mementos of President Kennedy, university documents and publications relating to the building and copies of newspapers and
    magazines, commemorative stamps, sliver of wood from old Student Union Building being torn down opposite the new union-sealed in a copper box.
  • Referred to as University Center prior to being named Kennedy Union

Miriam Hall 1965

  • Built in 1965
  • Groundbreaking: July 13, 1964
  • Dedication: March 29, 1966
  • Architect: Pretzinger & Pretzinger
  • Contractor: A.P. Ziegler Co.
  • Named in memory of Miriam Rosenthal-Jewish Dayton philanthropist who donated some funds
  • Today Miriam Hall houses the School of Business Administration

Gosiger Hall 1966

Gosiger Hall
  • Built in 1966
  • Named after Clarence H. Gosiger, a member of the Board of Trustees
  • Health Center is located here
  • Architect: Pretzinger & Pretzinger
  • Contractor: B. G. Danis Co.
  • Dedication: 1967

 

Eugene W. Kettering Engineering and Research Laboratories 1968

  • Built in 1968
  • Groundbreaking: March 1, 1968
  • Dedication: October 24, 1970
  • Architect: Pretzinger & Pretzinger
  • Named after Eugene Kettering, a renowned engineer and inventor
  • The previous home of UDRI (UD Research Institute)
  • Today Kettering Labs is home to the School of Engineering

Benisek Hall 1970

  • Built in 1970
  • Located at the intersection of Trinity and Stonemill 
  • Originally held Campus Security, Maintenance Department, Construction and Planning
  • Changed to Parking Services and Public Safety 
  • Demolished in 2007 for a green area; Parking and Public Safety moved to CPC/Fitz Hall 

Roesch Library 1971

Roesch Library
  • Groundbreaking: March 26, 1969
  • Completed on January 23, 1971
  • Dedication: September 25, 1971
  • Architect: Pretzinger & Pretzinger
  • Contractor: Charles H. Shook, Inc.
  • Originally named University Library; 8-story building also containing the Marian Library and study space
  • February 25, 1979: renamed Roesch Library as tribute to Raymond A. Roesch, S.M., former UD president 
  • Currently also houses the Office of Learning Resources and the Ryan C. Harris Learning Teaching Center
  • 2019: a two-year renovation was completed to update the technology and design 

 

Jessie S. Hathcock Hall 1978

  • Built in 1978
  • Formerly known as the Music & Theater Building
  • Originally housed the music and theatre department, and rehearsal rooms, classrooms, a dance studio, and the costume and props department
  • Renovated from 2019-2020 to house the Department of Computer Science, includes a walkway connecting the building to Kettering Labs
    • Architect: Levin-Porter Architects of Miamisburg
    • Contractor: Sidney-based Ferguson Construction Co. 
  • Renamed Jessie S. Hathcock Hall to honor the first African American woman graduate
  • Dedication set for fall 2021 

Alumni House 1981

Alumni House
  • Built: 1910
  • Acquired by University in 1981 and originally used as housing for law students
  • Remodeled in 1990 to house the National Alumni Association and all alumni groups
  • Dedication: September 14, 1990
  • Now is used for the Student Employment Office and Career Services (moved in 2010)

 

Caldwell Street Center 1982

Caldwell Street Center
  • Built in 1954 and originally the NCR Credit Union until Jesse Philips leased it to UD
  • Renovated in 1982 for UD
  • Architect: John Ruetschle
  • Originally named the Jesse Philips Center, renamed Caldwell Street Center in 1994
  • Housed UDRI and Student Placement and Cooperative Education (Career Services)
  • Torn down in 2010 to make space for the new Caldwell Student Housing 

 

Anderson Center 1985

Anderson Center
  • Built in 1985
  • Originally named William S. Anderson Information Sciences Center
  • Housed the Departments of Computer Science and Decision Sciences,
    the Center for Business and Economic Research, and the Management Development Center
  • Architect: Edge & Tinney Architects Inc
  • Contractor: Concourse Construction
  • Dedication: April 14, 1987
  • Named after William S. Anderson because of his role building a relationship between NCR and UD
  • Today houses offices for the School of Business Administration and UDit

 

Jesse Philips Humanities Center 1993

  • Built in 1993
  • Dedication: October 24, 1993
  • Architect: Edge and Tinney
  • Funds contributed by Jesse Philips, a former Board of Trustees member and founder of Philips Industries
  • Sears Recital Hall: Eileen Sears was director of Student Union in the 1950s and taught music and education for 40 years in Dayton schools.  Mr. Sears was a 1940 UD grad who taught business management here
  • 2009: interior refurbished

Joseph E. Keller Hall 1995

  • Built in 1995
  • Groundbreaking: May 1995
  • Dedication: 1997
  • Architect: Holabird & Root
  • Named after Joseph E. Keller: a three time UD grad and prominent Washington D.C. lawyer
  • Houses the University of Dayton School of Law

ArtStreet 2003

  • Built in 2003
  • Groundbreaking: April 25, 2003
  • Completed: August 2005
  • Architect: Edge and Tinney
  • It has townhouses and loft apartments along with art galleries, a recording studio, radio station, and ArtStreet Cafe

Central Mall 2003

  • Originally tennis courts built in 1930 to sponsor a varsity team
  • Sponsored by Brother Molz 
  • In 1947, 4 more courts added 
  • In 2003 the courts were removed for green space by KU - the central mall 
  • In 2010 renovations were done; a terraced amphitheater and overlook in front of Marycrest, new sidewalks, benches, and trees 

Fitz Hall 2005

  • Formerly owned by National Cash Register (NCR), 
  • Most of NCR's manufacturing facilities on the site were removed in the 1970s and the property remained largely unused
  • UD purchased building and surrounding property in 2005
  • Named College Park Center
  • Originally housed facilities management and the Dayton Early College Academy 
  • Additional departments and research facilities moved in including the PA program and parking services
  • Rededicated on October 15, 2014 as Raymond L. Fitz Hall, honoring UD's 17th president
  • Largest building on campus that currently contains multiple programs. A few include: DECA, Department of Art & Design,
    School of Education and Health Sciences, mailing services, Department of Music, Parking Services, Department of Public Safety

 

 

Curran Place 2010

  • Purchased in 2009, formerly NCR Headquarters
  • Dedication: December 16, 2010
  • Called River Campus Building after purchase from NCR and the name was changed to 1700 South Patterson Building a few months later in 2010
  • Dedicated as Curran Place May 1, 2019, honoring Daniel J. Curran UD's 18th president
  • The first time a university has purchased a Fortune 500 Headquarters
  • Houses UDRI, University Advancement, Center for Leadership, Institute for Pastoral Initiatives,
    MBA program, Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, catering, graduate classes, and the alumni association
  • A solar array and pollinator prairie were installed in the front lawn in 2019
chat loading...