Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

University of Dayton: Student Housing

Founders Hall 1953

  • Built in 1953
  • Groundbreaking: March 31, 1953
  • Dedication: August 29, 1954
  • Architect: Freeman Pretzinger
  • Contractor: James Barnes
  • 1961: First time students are in charge of a dorm

University Hall (West Campus) 1960

University Hall (West Campus)
  • Built in 1921 as Thomas Hospital to serve veteran tuberculosis patients
  • 1950s-60: passed over to UD from the Veterans Administration
  • 1960: renovated to become University Hall 
  • Housed freshman males from 1960-72 and classes were offered on West Campus in 1963
  • Located five miles away from the main campus
  • 1977: University Hall and most of the West Campus property was sold to the US Department of Labor
  • Now serves as a Dayton Job Corps training center

 

Marycrest Complex 1962

  • Built in 1962
  • Completed: September 9, 1962
  • Dedication: September 23, 1962
  • Architect: Pretzinger & Pretzinger
  • Name: "Marycrest" selected by Academic Council, submitted by Fr. Hoelle.  Named in honor of Virgin Mary and that it rests on the crest of a hill
  • First women's dorm on campus
  • Prior to its construction women students were housed in the Loretto Hotel downtown or with university-certified landlords
  • Supervised by the Daughters of Mary Immaculate
  • 1964: Two more wings and a six story center added

Stuart Complex 1964

  • Built in 1964
  • Groundbreaking: December 13, 1961
  • Architect: Pretzinger & Pretzinger
  • Named after John Stuart who had sold property to the Marianists
  • Originally a men's dorm
  • 2009/2010: renovations including new lounges, restrooms, and lobby

Campus South 1969

  • Built in 1969
  • Architect: Paul H Deneau of Deneau-Kleski Associates
  • Contractor: B.G. Danis, Inc.
  • 10 story student housing complex along Irving Ave.
  • Originally a women's dorm
  • Jan. 5, 1970: received "City Beautiful Award" from the City of Dayton

Garden Apartments 1978-79

Garden Apartments
  • 9 apartment buildings constructed in 1978 and 1979
  • 1981: new U-shaped garden apartment built by existing one 
  • North neighborhood: 2 U-shaped and 5 on campus side 
  • South neighborhood: 3 apartment buildings
  • Renovated throughout the 2010s

 

McGinnis Center 1983

  • Originally a one-story schoolhouse
  • 1983: McGinnis Center established holding the Office of Community Relations 
  • Renovated thanks to a gift from Marie-Louise McGinnis, an honorary trustee 
  • Demolished in 2016
  • Replaced by Adele Center

 

Virginia W. Kettering Residence Hall 1986

  • Built in 1986
  • Groundbreaking: April 10, 1986
  • Completed: August 15, 1987
  • Dedication: Fall 1987
  • Architect: Edge and Tinney
  • 2009: renovated along with Stuart Hall

Lawnview Apartments 2000

Lawnview Apartments
  • Built in 2000
  • Groundbreaking: May 4, 1999
  • Contractor: Miller-Valentine Group
  • This four-story building houses suite-style apartments for upperclassmen

 

Marianist Hall 2004

  • Built in 2004
  • Dedication: September 3, 2004
  • Architect: Edge & Tinney
  • Named in honor of Marianist order who donated $10 million to university's last capital campaign

Caldwell Apartments 2011

Caldwell Apartments
  • Built in 2011
  • Constructed to accommodate the increasing student population and house international students
  • Contractor: Miller-Valentine Group

 

Adele Center 2018

Adele Center
  • Replaced the McGinnis Center
  • Construction completed in August of 2018
  • Dedication: October 18, 2018 - honoring Blessed Mother Adele, a founding Marianist Sister
  • A four-story apartment building in the south neighborhood, also includes spaces
    for worship and meetings

 

chat loading...