Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

University of Dayton: 1880-1960

St. Joseph Hall 1884

  • Built in 1884
  • Fire destroyed Stuart Mansion on current site of St. Joseph Hall on Dec. 27, 1856.  Convent built on this site in 1857 and was destroyed by fire in 1883
  • Architect: Brother J. Senentz
  • Built with lumber from Nazareth property and bricks were passed by hand from the nearby brickworks
  • 1911: second, third, and fourth floors remodeled for dormitories with private rooms (no longer used as a dorm with the construction of Stuart Hall in 1964)
  • December 22, 1987: Fire guts building
  • 1989: Rededicated after rebuilding

Powerhouse 1898

  • Groundbreaking: 1898
  • Dedication: December 8, 1898
  • Heat and electric light plant built with tunnels to various buildings.  Digging was done by scholastics, novices, and postulants during vacations
  • Laundry and showerbaths on second floor
  • Today the Powerhouse houses campus print and copy services and dining services

Heritage Center 1903

  • Built in 1903
  • Formerly known as the Men's Lavatory, Crystal Palace, Carpentry Shop, and Post Office (1959-2004)
  • 2007: renovated from Post Office to Heritage Center, which showcased the University of Dayton's Marianist Heritage 
  • September 2017: the Heritage Center transformed to the Heritage Coffee Shop, part of Flyer Enterprises

Chaminade Hall 1904

  • Built in 1904
  • Groundbreaking: 1904
  • Completed: 1905
  • Named after Father Chaminade, founder of the Society of Mary
  • Housed the Central Library until 1916
  • Brother Paul's student cafeteria in the Arcade until 1962
  • Housed the bookstore until 2004
  • Closed in 2014 because it did not meet safety standards; the School of Education & Allied Professions moved to Fitz Hall 
  • Spring of 2018: Chaminade Hall Vision Committee was formed

Arcade 1904

Arcade
  • Used to be attached to Chaminade 
  • Built in 1904, along with Chaminade Hall 
  • Connected Chaminade to St. Mary's 
  • Housed Brother Paul's student cafeteria until 1962; transferred to office space
  • Demolished in 2014 to make green space 

 

Alumni Hall 1924

Alumni Hall
  • Groundbreaking: June 12, 1922
  • Dedication: September 28, 1924
  • First Mass celebrated in the chapel dedicated to "Our Lady of Good Counsel" on October 7, 1924
  • Originally built as a residence hall, then in the 1950s transferred to a space for the Marianist Community 
  • Now includes the Honors Program, Multi-Ethnic Education and Engagement Center,
    Women's Center, and Women's and Gender Studies Program

 

Albert Emanuel Hall 1927

  • Groundbreaking: April 11, 1927
  • Dedication: June 10, 1928
  • Architect: Howard W. Germann
  • Money donated by Victor Emanuel, a Jewish philanthropist and alumni, in honor of his father
  • Originally functioned as the University Library and then the Law School (1970)
  • First home of the Marian Library (1945) and the Women's College (1935)
  • Today it is home to the Welcome Center and University Archives

Mechanical Engineering Building 1949

  • Built in 1949
  • Old R.O.T.C. drill hall
  • The skeleton of wooden trusses of this building were moved from Camp Peary, Williamsburg, Virginia (old barracks of an Army Camp in W. VA).  Donated by US Government
  • Demolished in 2009

O'Reilly Hall 1951

O'Reilly/ROTC
  • Built in 1951
  • Groundbreaking: January 18, 1951
  • Dedication: March 31, 1952
  • Originally built for the R.O.T.C. program and called the R.O.T.C. building 
  • Today the first floor houses the administrative offices for the College of Arts and Sciences,
    while the lower floor houses the R.O.T.C. program

 

Wohlleben Hall 1958

  • Built in 1958
  • Groundbreaking: July 18, 1957
  • Dedication: April 12, 1958
  • Architect: Freeman Pretzinger
  • Named after Dr. William J. Wohlleben, retired chairman of the Department of Chemical Engineering
  • 2003: renovation along with Sherman Hall-connected to become the Science Center
  • Today Wohlleben Hall houses the departments of chemistry and geology as well as the premedicine program

Sherman Hall 1959

  • Built in 1959
  • Groundbreaking: December 5, 1957
  • Dedication: May 5, 1960
  • Architect: Freeman Pretzinger
  • Contractor: B.G. Danis
  • Named in honor of John Q. Sherman, founder and President of Standard Register Co.
  • 2003: renovation along with Wohlleben Hall-connected to become the Science Center
  • Today Sherman Hall houses the departments of biology, mathematics, and physics
chat loading...