Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

University of Dayton: Athletic Facilities

Baujan Field 1925

  • Groundbreaking: 1925
  • Dedication: October 17, 1925
  • Built on the former Patterson Field
  • The Rubicon Creek had to be diverted to build the stadium
  • Originally called UD Stadium but became known as Baujan Field in December 1961
  • Named for: Harry C. Baujan, long-time athletic director/football coach

Thomas J. Frericks Athletic and Convocation Center 1949

  • Built in 1949
  • Groundbreaking: April 28, 1949
  • Dedication: November 23, 1950
  • Architect: Geyer & Neuffer
  • Built to replace old gym
  • Originally known as the Fieldhouse and was home to UD basketball
  • 1991: re-dedicated as Frericks Center

Reichard Hall/ Olsen Athletics Center 1962

 Reichard Hall/ Olsen Athletics Center
  • Built in 1962
  • Was an addition to the Fieldhouse (Frericks Center) 
  • Previously called Flyers Hanger; renamed Reichard Hall in 1975 after Dr. Maurice Reichard, founder of the Music Department 
  • Housed the Music Department and concert hall
  • 2014: renovated to become Olsen Athletics Center - an Athletics Performance Center with a weight room 

 

UD Arena 1969

  • Built in 1969
  • Completed: December 6, 1969
  • Dedication: January 17, 1970
  • Architect: Pretzinger & Pretzinger
  • 1997: playing court named after Tom Blackburn
  • 1997-98: Donoher Basketball Center addition
  • 2002: renovation of exterior parking lots and interior amenities/technology
  • 2017-2020: Transform UD Arena project completely renovated building 
  • March 25, 2011: became the most-used venue in NCAA history and continues to hold record, hosting 125 games from 1970-2019

Welcome Stadium 1974

Welcome Stadium
  • Owned by Dayton Public Schools 
  • Built in 1949 by as a high school football stadium
  • 1974: first used by UD, renovated the stadium and the field to artificial turf 
  • Named after Percival Welcome, former director of athletics for Dayton Public Schools
  • 2008: renovated to include a new two-level press box and advertising space
  • Stadium still hosts high school games as well as the Flyers 

 

Physical Activities Center 1975

  • Built in 1975
  • Groundbreaking: May 13, 1975
  • Dedication: Januaru 31, 1976
  • Architect: Miller
  • Contractor: Illini Building Systems Inc.
  • Built around existing Fieldhouse
  • Closed December 14, 2005 for student recreation due to the construction of the RecPlex
  • 2008: name changed to Athletic Practice Facility
  • 2011: name changed to Cronin Athletics Center<

RecPlex 2006

  • Built in 2006
  • Dedication: January 6, 2006
  • Architect: Edge & Tinney
  • Consultant: Hastings and Chivetta
  • Replaced the Physical Activities Center for student recreation

Tennis Courts/Graul Tennis Complex 2010

Graul tennis complex
  • When UD purchased land from NCR, there was enough space to add tennis courts
    that had been missing for 5 years 
  • In 2010 the outdoor tennis complex was completed, including 6 courts and facilities 
  • Dedication: November 8, 2010
  • Located off of Caldwell Street behind Fitz Hall  

 

Stuart Field 2011

Stuart Field
  • Origin unknown; mentions of Stuart Field as early as the 1970s
  • Synthetic turf installed 2011, finished on October 31
  • Contractor: the Motz Group
  • Dedication: November 4, 2011
  • Multipurpose fields with fence and ID access; walkway around the outside of field 

 

chat loading...