The 236 volumes of this special collection were the working library of Msgr. Bernard J. Beckmeyer, pastor of St. Mary Church in Dayton, Ohio from 1917 to 1967. In July 2001, the collection was donated to the University of Dayton Library by the Rev. John E. Krumm, pastor of St. Mary Church, through the interest and efforts of U.D. alumnus P. Michael Eifert and Dr. Maureen A. Tilley.
A print inventory of this collection is available in the U.S. Catholic Special Collection reading room and at the Roesch Library reference desk.
Ellis A. Joseph, the former dean of the School of Education at the University of Dayton, donated his collection of books on Catholic education to the U.S. Catholic Special Collection.
The St. Anthony Messenger Press, a Catholic publisher in Cincinnati, Ohio, maintains a depository collection in the USCSC. A copy of each item published by the Press is held in this collection. Materials cover a broad range of subjects, and include audiobooks, videos, and DVDs.
Donated by Marianist brother Leo Willett, this collection of books on Catholic Americana highlights works of local interest.
This collection represents the religious habits worn over time by religious orders of women active in the United States. Some of the reproductions were prepared by sisters, and some dolls carry the name of the sister who dressed them. A majority of the collection was donated by Pauline Money, an alumnae of UD, who wanted to preserve this important aspect of Catholic heritage.
The dolls can be viewed on the sixth floor of the Roesch Library. They can also be viewed online at eCommons.
This collection of nun figurines was collected by Lois Pettit (1927-2006) over a period of many years. They represent the different ways popular culture thought of Catholic sisters: some are serious, others are humorous. The collection is a testimonial to the respect and love American Cathoilcs have for the women religious who did so much for them. The collection and display case were donated by Lois's husband Walter Pettit and her daughter Amy Cloud. The collection can be viewed in the hallway of the third floor of Roesch Library.