Welcome to the University of Dayton Libraries' guide to HSS 534: Functional and Integrative Nutrition with Dr. Jennifer Dalton. Click on the tabs to explore the many resources available to support the research requirements for this course.
- Your PICO Question - How to build and interpret a searchable PICO question.
- Levels of Evidence - Identifying the best possible evidence for your question.
- Database Searching - Performing a search of scholarly literature in an academic database.
- Appraising the Results - What to look for and how to read a scholarly paper.
- Citation Styles - Resources for AMA style.
- Organizing Your Research - Tools for citation management and saving your searches.
Evidence Based Practice (you may also see "Evidence Based Medicine" or EBM) is a process of life-long, problem-based learning. According to Sackett et al., "It's about integrating individual clinical experience and the best external evidence" (1996).The process involves:
(image from the Skeptic's Guide to Emergency Medicine)
This guide provides a high-level overview of EBP, from forming a searchable clinical question to assessing your search results. Continue to the next section titled "Your PICO Question" to learn more about using PICO to write a question that will deliver results!